Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
I came across the following sentences in an exercise:"Margaret was replying all the letters she received last week." and "The chambermaid made my bed in the hotel and cleaned the bathroom while I was having breakfast." I wanted to ask if "replied" is correct in the first sentence. In the second sentence, isn't it correct to write "was making" and "was cleaning" since there is "while" in the sentence showing that two actions were parallel?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Please tell us where you saw these sentences.

The first is incorrect. You reply to something. The second is fine with the past simple The past continuous would be possible if the cleaning wasn't finished or you had to emphasize that the cleaning was ongoing at the time.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
As a standalone sentence the first does not work- there has to be a reason for the continuous form. What's the wider context?

dorax

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
As a standalone sentence the first does not work- there has to be a reason for the continuous form. What's the wider context?
It was just a standalone sentence from an exercise in a textbook and the correct answer was with past continuous. That's why I wanted to ask you why this is so. And you solved my question.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Please provide the title and author(s) of the textbook. That's the information we're looking for every time we ask "Where did you see ...?"

Status
Not open for further replies.