Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hi everybody,

While reading a newspaper, I see one sentence that seems to be unfamiliar with me in grammar. Please help me analyze the structure of it.

Prominently portrayed, surveying sphinx-like the carnage committed in his name, is the Pharaoh.

To be honest, I couldn't find the subject at the beginning of the sentence(May be the Pharaoh?). Furthermore, "portrayed, surveying sphinx-like" turns out to be so weird when sphinx-like is an adjective(I think it is more suitable to be adverb in this case). In line with the phrase, what is the sort of portrayed( it is a verb or an adjective?).

Thanks very much for your comments.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The Pharaoh, who is surveying (in the way a sphinx does) the carnage (which has been committed in his name), is prominently portrayed.

ZaraCastle

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
The Pharaoh, who is surveying (in the way a sphinx does) the carnage (which has been committed in his name), is prominently portrayed.

Prominently portrayed, surveying sphinx-like the carnage committed in his name, is the Pharaoh.

Thanks for your answer, fivejedjon. Nevertheless, I would like to ask you to make clear about the original sentence. According to this sentence, it uses "sphinx-like" which is an adjective. Is it right? What does "his name" stand for? Is it for Pharaoh or sphinx?. Although it is Pharaoh in your explanation, to what extent, I still think "his name" probably stands for "sphinx" when the object, Pharaoh, hasn't been mentioned by "his name".

Thanks for your comments.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
'sphinx-like', which could be contained within commas, is an adjective qualifying the noun 'Pharaoh'.
The carnage has been committed in the name of the Pharaoh.

Status
Not open for further replies.