Please refer to my statement of purpose, in which I explain in depth why I intend to do a degree at Harvard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Is this correct and natural?

Please refer to my statement of purpose, in which I explain in depth why I intend to do a degree at Harvard University.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Use "desire" or "wish to". "Intend" sounds as if you're sure you'll be admitted.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
What about the rest of it? Could others also comment, please?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Do we "do" degrees?

I might say:

I plan to go to Harvard, study XYZ and earn a degree in that subject.

Holmes

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is this correct and natural?

Please refer to my statement of purpose, in which I explain in depth why I intend to do a degree at Harvard University.
"Intend" feels a bit too forceful to me in this context. I assume you are writing to university administrators, who have the power to grant or deny you admission, regardless of your intention. I might change "intend" to "seek."

Also, I prefer "pursue a degree" to "do a degree" in this context, because it shows them that you do not take it to be a foregone conclusion that you will complete your degree there. In other contexts, "do a degree" works fine.

Please refer to my statement of purpose, in which I explain in depth why I seek to pursue a degree at Harvard University.

Years ago, I asked a former philosophy professor of mine, "Did you do your Ph.D. at Berkeley?" (I had just seen him at the U.C. Berkeley campus for a 50-years-of-teaching celebration of one of the philosophy professors there, now deceased.) To this day, I remember his exact response: "I did it at Harvard."

Status
Not open for further replies.