Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
“You should apply!” my mentor exclaimed as they slid the job description across the table. It was for a tenure-track appointment—a position that had been my driving ambition—in the department where I had completed my Ph.D. Professionally, the timing was perfect: My postdoctoral training had expanded my skill set and I had recently received a great score on a grant application, poising me to return to my old digs with a unique niche and the proven ability to fund it.

Source: Science

What does dig mean here? I've checked out Merriam Webster Dictionary and found no clue there. I guess it simply means job.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In general it refers to one's habitual location. The area where one lives, works, socializes.

In this case it refers to the university and department where the person was once and will be again.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
In general it refers to one's habitual location. The area where one lives, works, socializes.

In this case it refers to the university and department where the person was once and will be again.
Is it American English or British English?

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I find a definition for it in Webster's.

Websters noun definition 2A & 2B - AmE living or working accommodations, BrE living accommodations only.
Collins lists it as AmE, referring only to living quarters.
Dictionary.com lists is as BrE, but meaning only your lodgings.
Macmillan lists it as AmE, with only the lodgings definition.
Cambridge suggests it's living accommodations only in BrE, doesn't mention AmE

It appears that it exists in both AmE and BrE, but the meaning may be restricted more to just living accommodations in BrE whereas the AmE version allows for work accommodations as well. Actually, I tend to think of it as living accommodations, but I'm not bothered by the extension to work locations either.

Perhaps some of our BrE members can confirm their use of it.

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
We should note that it's always plural digs. You can't use the singular dig.

I tend to think of it as living accommodations, but I'm not bothered by the extension to work locations either.

Same here.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
On a side note, there seems to be two prevailing etymological theories of the word. Both agree that it stems from an earlier use of 'diggings', meaning a place where one digs or excavates.

One theory is that it's related to mines and mining, while the other suggests farms and farming. Both use the premise that people lived where they worked (or dug), hence the connection to dwellings.

On a side-side note, here's an interesting article about the origins of several terms we use for 'home'.

Status
Not open for further replies.