Present perfect + past simple (sequence of tenses)

Status
Not open for further replies.

helga23

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I came across these sentences:
  • "I've found out that you lied.
  • "I've discovered that she was untrue to me".
  • She says/will say/has said that she can cook well
It confuses me, because I thought, that according to the rule "sequence of tenses" we can use present perfect with present simple or future simple.

I think that in the first sentence "found" in Past simple instead of present perfect should be used (or I've found out that you lie). What about the second one, I think that I discovered that she was untrue to me/ I've discovered that she is untrue to me is more suitable.
The third sentence is a reported speech. The original one was:
  • She says/will say/has said: "I can cook well"
If I am wrong can you me explain why? Thanks in advance!

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
according to the rule "sequence of tenses" we can use present perfect with present simple or future simple.

I can't guess which rule you're talking about, I'm afraid. Could you tell us more?

I think that in the first sentence "found" in Past simple instead of present perfect should be used (or I've found out that you lie).

No. The sentence is fine as it is.

What about the second one, I think that I discovered that she was untrue to me/ I've discovered that she is untrue to me is more suitable.

No. This sentence is similar to the first one.

The third sentence is a reported speech. The original one was:
  • She says/will say/has said: "I can cook well"

The third sentence is not a proper sentence, since there seem to be three different verb phrases! Is this taken from an exercise? I can only guess that the writer wanted to say She says that she can cook well. If so, it is reporting the fact that she claims to be a good cook.

Please tell us where you saw these sentences, and explain what the 'sequence of tenses' rule is.

helga23

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I can't guess which rule you're talking about, I'm afraid. Could you tell us more?

No. The sentence is fine as it is.

No. This sentence is similar to the first one.

The third sentence is not a proper sentence, since there seem to be three different verb phrases! Is this taken from an exercise? I can only guess that the writer wanted to say She says that she can cook well. If so, it is reporting the fact that she claims to be a good cook.

Please tell us where you saw these sentences, and explain what the 'sequence of tenses' rule is.
https://usefulenglish.ru/grammar/sequence-of-tenses (the site, in which I found information about sequence of tenses)
I came across the first two sentences in reverso context

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211204-190414_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211204-190414_Chrome.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 1

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Thanks for explaining.

I don't understand very well what this 'sequence of tenses' rule is. As far as I can gather, the text in the link you provided seems basically to be saying that in any complex sentence, the two clauses must cohere both logically and grammatically. I won't argue with that!

Anyway, as I've said, the first two sentences are fine as they are. In both sentences, the second clause describes a past action, so the past simple is the appropriate tense to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.