Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Of all visitors, I believe I preferred Emperor Norton: the very mention of whose name reminds me I am doing scanty justice to the folks of San Francisco. In what other city would a harmless madman who supposed himself emperor of the two Americas have been so fostered and encouraged? Where else would even the people of the streets have respected the poor soul's illusion? Where else would bankers and merchants have received his visits, cashed his cheques, and submitted to his small assessments? Where else would he have been suffered to attend and address the exhibition days of schools and colleges? Where else, in God's green earth, have taken his pick of restaurants, ransacked the bill of fare and departed scatheless? They tell me he was even an exacting patron, threatening to withdraw his custom when dissatisfied; . . .
(The Wrecker by R. L. Stevenson and L. Osborne, chapter vii, published 1892)

I don't really realize how this sentence is connected to the preceding sentences regarding to the form or structure. With regards to content, though, I understand the sentence.

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Where else...? Where else...? Where else...? Where else...?

How does this not fit the "form or structure?"

shootingstar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Where else ransacked the bill of fare and departed scatheless ??? I'm missing a subject or object there and verbs or auxiliaries as well. Does it say Where else would he have ransacked . . ? Is it connected as . . . where else could/would he have ransacked . . .? - that's my issue there; it puzzles me.

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I see. Yes. My mind filled it in. There should be a "where else ... would he have taken..."

shootingstar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
I see. Yes. My mind filled it in. There should be a "where else ... would he have taken..."
Where else would he have taken ransacked the bill of fare . . ??? I think it has to be . . ; where else would/could he have ransacked the bill of fare, right? I much appreciate your help.

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It says "taken his pick of restaurants" first.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
In an odd way it's humorous praise for the city of San Francisco. Stevenson is saying that nowhere else would a person as obviously insane as Emperor Norton have been tolerated. But Norton had evidently become accustomed to it; so much so that although he never paid for what he consumed in restaurants, he would threaten to take his business elsewhere if he was not humoured in his imperial delusions.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You didn't ask about 'scatheless', but if it was ever commonly used, it isn't now. We'd say 'unscathed'. [link]

Also, note that 'unscathed' means unharmed', but 'scatheless' doesn't mean 'harmless'.

Last edited: