Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
China
Current Location
South Korea
Choose the answer that is closest in meaning to the underlined austerity.
On October 14, 1973, in one of the biggest tank battles in history, Israeli forces routed an invading Egyptian Army, destroying about two hundred and fifty tanks and losing just twenty-five. Two days later, the Israelis—who had been aided by an American airlift of military supplies—crossed over the Suez Canal and into Egypt. In retaliation, the Arab members of OPEC declared an oil embargo against the United States, ordering a series of production cutbacks and royalty increases that tripled the price of oil. Long gas lines became commonplace and the U.S. economy fell into a recession. In a nod to austerity, Richard Nixon decreed that the national Christmas tree would go unlit.

Thirty years later, we can't see past that darkened tree. The embargo, which lasted only a few months, still shapes the way we think about the politics and economics of oil. Ever since, the spectre of Arab countries using oil as a political weapon has haunted discussions of the Middle East and the global petroleum market, and has kept U.S. policymakers obsessed with “energy security” (which in practice has meant sucking up to the Saudis) and with “energy independence” from what has come to be known, in the Times and elsewhere, as “the axis of oil.”

1. economic difficulties
  2. threats by Arab states
  3. the dilemma of U.S. policy makers
  4. comments by U.S journalists
  5. the recovery of oil markets
I was solving a reading comprehension question, considering between 1 and 5, and I decided to choose 5 because austerity has a meaning of saving something. But the answer was 1. But I don't agree that the answer is 1. By definition, austerity is a word for describing a situation when little money is spent only on things that are necessary. Can austerity be used for describing economic difficulties?

austerity: a situation in which there is not much money and it is spent only on things that are necessary

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, I agree with you that "austerity" doesn't exactly mean "economic difficulties", economic difficulties led to the need for austerity. In this case, it included saving energy because of fuel shortages. By not having the Christmas tree lit, Nixon was setting an example. For, me, #1 is the only possible correct answer.

Yonsu99

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
China
Current Location
South Korea
Well, I agree with you that "austerity" doesn't exactly mean "economic difficulties", economic difficulties led to the need for austerity. In this case, it included saving energy because of fuel shortages. By not having the Christmas tree lit, Nixon was setting an example. For, me, #1 is the only possible correct answer.
You mean austerity means "#1 economic difficulties" more than "#5 the recovery of oil markets"?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You mean austerity means "#1 economic difficulties" more than "#5 the recovery of oil markets"?

Yes. I don't think it has anything at all to do with recovery of oil markets.

Status
Not open for further replies.