Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Is there anything wrong with these sentences below? Thanks.

Regarding your inquiry, we do not have the details with us in our hands right now, so please allow me to check with the relevant party for further checking and you will hear back from us within 3 working days.

Regarding your inquiry, I do not have the details with me now, so please allow me to check with the relevant party for further checking and I will reply to you within 3 working days.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
They are unnecessarily wordy. I would write:

We are looking into your enquiry and will get back to you within three (working) days.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What you want to say:

I don't have the answer now, but I'll get back to you in a couple of days.

What you not want to do is give the impression that you are confused, which is why you should avoid such sentences.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I presume you are writing a reply to a customer's enquiry for your company. Put yourself in the customer's shoes. You would not like to read things like "we do not have the details/answer" even if it is true.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You can use inquiry rather than enquiry, but Ted has got the response right.

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Even though there have already appeared answers that suggest better ways to say what you want to say, and your original sentences are unnecessarily wordy and sound slightly pretentious, I'd still like to point out that these two parts should be improved:
Regarding your inquiry, we do not have the details with us in our hands right now.
On top of what others have already said, that it makes you appear unprofessional to admit that you don't know what to say, there's a high concentration of phrases that all express a very similar idea here. Choose just one; using "with us", "in our hands", and "right now" in such quick succession makes it sound oddly specific and excusatory.

Allow me to check with the relevant party for further checking and you will hear back from us within 3 working days.
"Check for further checking" sounds tautologous. Try to find a synonym or, better yet, reword the whole part. As a rule of thumb, try to avoid using the same word, even if it's modified with a suffix, in one sentence.

goodstudent

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
You can use inquiry rather than enquiry, but Ted has got the response right.
What are the differences of inquiry vs enquiry?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I agree with @tedmc that they are the same, but some dictionaries say that in BrE any question can be called an enquiry but an inquiry is more formal and extensive. We use them that way in Canada, but I believe "enquiry" is never used at all in the USA.

Status
Not open for further replies.