Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
"He has retained my services."

Is it correct to say that? I think one can retain a person, but not his or her services. What do you think?

Thanks!

Richard1

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hi,

Yes that's perfectly OK and a quite natural expression.

Regards

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
You may open the following link where you could see the usage of the expression in question at the very outset.

“George M. Pavia, Esq. retained my services to act as trial counsel in a lawsuit against James Cyril Couri."

Kenneth V. Gomez, Esq.: George M. Pavia, Esq. retained my services to act as trial counsel in a lawsuit against James Cyril Couri.

V.

I realize that some people would say "retain his/her services," but that doesn't mean it's correct to say that. I find it illogical, but language isn't always logical.

Last edited:

Richard1

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hi,

Believe me it is perfectly correct to talk about retaining someone's services rather than retaining the person themselves. I don't see anything illogical in it, but maybe that's because it is a perfectly natural expression.

Rgds

Reactions: vil

Vidor

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
not a teacher

I've never heard of retaining a person.

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
Hi,

Believe me it is perfectly correct to talk about retaining someone's services rather than retaining the person themselves. I don't see anything illogical in it, but maybe that's because it is a perfectly natural expression.

Rgds

To retain is to employ, and I might employ someone to perform certain services, but I would not employ services because services cannot do work. That's my logic.

Richard1

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Jasmin,

You'll just have to accept therefore that your logic on this occasion lets you down.

In any case what's the relevance of services and work even aside from the fact that of course services are work?

The question is about retaining something, and as you've been told there is nothing strange or illogical about retaining the services of someone else. Or in other words you are securing the right to call on that person to perform work or a service for you on some future occasion.

Just believe me.

Regards

apex2000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Wales
It may help you if you consider that 'my services' can be quite specific and that the person who provides these services is not necessarily employed by the retainee. You might retain the services of a plumber - you can call on him whenever you need him - but you don't employ him and when you get his bill it is for his services.

This is quite different from a person who is a retainer (usually in very large houses) as s/he is employed by the home owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.