Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
The translation goes "stand on the desert" for "rise out of" and I can understand to some extent, but my concept of "out of" was "to start from inside of something to outside of it", so it gave me the feeling that it might be located beside the desert. How come it means "on top of something"?

st173
ex)Six earth-and-rock mounds rise out of windswept desert of the Supe Valley near the coast of Peru. They appear to be natural hills in a desert sqeezed between the Pacific Ocean and the mountains of the Andean Cordillera...

The translation goes "stand on the desert" for "rise out of" and I can understand to some extent, but my concept of "out of" was "to start from inside of something to outside of it", so it gave me the feeling that it might be located beside the desert. How come it means "on top of something"?

st173
ex)Six earth-and-rock mounds rise out of windswept desert of the Supe Valley near the coast of Peru. They appear to be natural hills in a desert sqeezed between the Pacific Ocean and the mountains of the Andean Cordillera...

The original, "rise out of", is correct. Rocks don't "stand on" a desert.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back