Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Could you please tell me what rubric means in the excerpt?

In July 1934, Stalin sent a letter to the Soviet Politburo, arguing that Tsarist Russia should not be specifically criticized, because all European countries had been reactionary in the nineteenth century, rather than the Russian Empire alone. In light of Stalin's narrowing of the historiography, Brandenberger argued the important takeaway from "Observations" is not that they included the phrase "tsarism—prison of the peoples", but rather that they replaced the word "Russia" in an earlier turn of phrase with "tsarism" to narrow the target of critique to a form of government. While Stalin used some remaining rubric of internationalism, this shift served a more "pragmatic" interpretation of history, from the Soviet Kremlin's perspective, that began to reuse more elements of nationalism.

rubric - a category.

Such things fall under the rubric of postmodernism.

From OED.

rubric - a category.

Such things fall under the rubric of postmodernism.

From OED.

What does it mean in this context?:unsure: I would expect a different term, for example, "rhetoric".

I picked the definition that I think fits. (There are others.)

The word "rhetoric" would not work there.

Last edited by a moderator:
the definition that I think fits.
How do you understand some remaining category of internationalism? Because I don't.

Reactions: 5jj
@güey You can look it up yourself in OED (or some other source) and decide for yourself.

"I really don't know" normally only makes sense as an answer to a question.

"I really don't know" normally only makes sense as an answer to a question.
Sorry but I didn't ask what online dictionaries can I consult either (which I searched up before starting the thread). Apparently the issue is that I don't know how a specific meaning of a word fits context.

Sorry but I didn't ask what online dictionaries can I consult either (which I looked up before starting the thread). Apparently the issue is that I don't know how a specific meaning of a word fits the context.
They are talking about internationalism versus nationalism. And, of course, the Bolsheviks were convinced that they were right. In fact, they were so convinced of the rightness of their cause that they were unwilling to tolerate dissenting opinions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back