Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello to everyone.
This is from a Trevor Noah monologue: "I love all kinds of jokes, all right? I love safe jokes. I like dark jokes. I like jokes."

What is a safe joke? I didn't find an explanation by googling.

Last edited:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I agree with 5jj, but I'd like to add that a joke that offends nobody probably isn't very funny. The best jokes are a bit near the bone.

Ostap

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I'd like to ask - do you hear that phrase often, is the "safe joke" really a thing? Trevor mentioned it like it is. Maybe it's a recent trend? Many things that used to be funny in the past are offensive nowadays, so maybe they now had to come up with a term (category) for jokes that would offend nobody?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I also have never heard it before. So, as the saying goes, it goes without saying that I don't hear it often.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It's pretty obvious what Mr Noah means, but I don't think 'safe jokes' is a particularly well-known phrase. Perhaps it is among comedians.

Cunning Fox

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I'd like to ask - do you hear that phrase often, is the "safe joke" really a thing? Trevor mentioned it like it is. Maybe it's a recent trend? Many things that used to be funny in the past are offensive nowadays, so maybe they now had to come up with a term (category) for jokes that would offend nobody?
Even though "safe joke" isn't something you hear in everyday English, the meaning is crystal clear (at least to me), so I can easily see myself using it.
So:
1. Is it really a thing - I don't see why it isn't. The meaning is clear.
2. Is it a recent trend? - I think it's more of an attempt to describe what kind of joke your joke is rather than "a trend".

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Maybe there's a whole genre of jokes about safes and vaults that we haven't broken into - a combination of security and humor most have yet to unlock.

Hey, is this safe to eat?
No, it's for storing valuables.

Ostap

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Maybe there's a whole genre of jokes about safes and vaults that we haven't broken into - a combination of security and humor most have yet to unlock.

Hey, is this safe to eat?
No, it's for storing valuables.
Indeed, when I was searching for "safe jokes", I did come across a page with such ones, like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.