Member Type
Other
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Hi, the phrasal verb "pucker up" is mostly explained as "to contract the lips as in preparing to kiss" or " to shrink up and get wrinkled". I hardly can imagine Sally's nose getting wrinkled, but it may be. But further we have: "said Sally, puckering up her nose at me", that I can't understand at all.
"“How marvellous!” Sally puckered up her nose and laughed a silvery little stage-laugh." "“You know, Fritz darling,” said Sally, puckering up her nose at me, “I believe the trouble with you is that you’ve never really found the right woman.” (Sally Bowles, Christopher Isherwood)

I can't imagine it either, nor can I imagine a "silvery little stage-laugh". :shock:

It's more typical to talk of wrinkling one's nose, but Isherwood's phrase works. For example, a prune can be said to have a puckered skin.

It's more typical to talk of wrinkling one's nose, but Isherwood's phrase works. For example, a prune can be said to have a puckered skin.

OK, but what about "Sally, puckering up her nose AT ME"?

It simply suggests that she turned her face towards "me" while puckering/wrinkling her nose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back