Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
John gives his book to Sarah. Bob asks John to give it to him after she reads it, and John says okay. So, when she's finished reading it, John calls Bob several times, but he can't reach him. Bob doesn't call him back either, so John decides to give it to Peter. Three hours later, Bob calls John back and says: "Sorry, I didn't call you back earlier. I've been busy. Did you want to tell me something?" To which John replies with one of the following sentences.

1. Sarah has given the book back to me, and I've given it to Peter. I wanted to give it to you, but I called you several times and couldn't reach you.

2. Sarah gave the book back to me, and I've given it to Peter. I wanted to give it to you, but I called you several times and couldn't reach you.

3. Sarah gave the book back to me, and I gave it to Peter. I wanted to give it to you, but I called you several times and couldn't reach you.

Which of the above versions are correct in the context given? I'm wondering about the tenses in bold.

EngLearner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
#2 means that Peter now has the book, but it's unclear in the case of #3 whether he has it now. Is my understanding correct?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Neither sentence tells us whether he still has the book.

EngLearner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Suppose Sarah has given the book back to John, but he hasn't given it to Peter yet. John calls Bob several times, but he can't reach him. Three hours later, Bob calls John back and says: "Sorry, I didn't call you back earlier. I've been busy. Did you want to tell me something?" To which John replies with one of the following sentences.

4. Sarah has given the book back to me. Do you still need it? If not, I'll give it to Peter.

5. Sarah gave the book back to me. Do you still need it? If not, I'll give it to Peter.

Are both versions correct in this case?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'd use #4 but I'd use the contraction "Sarah's given".

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
#2 means that Peter now has the book, but it's unclear in the case of #3 whether he has it now. Is my understanding correct?

Yes, that's right. The present tense I've given it to Peter implies that Peter has the book now. The past tense I gave it Peter has no such implication.