Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello everybody!

I am working on a new certificate for a valve and came across the following sentence.

On board installation and test when required is subject to the satisfaction of the attending surveyor.

I have no idea what the author's intention is.

Could somebody help me to understand It?

'is" should be replaced by "are".

I understand "when required" to refer to the test only.

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Installation and testing (of equipment?) carried out on board a vessel are subject to the approval of the attending surveyor.

I think "when required" is stating the obvious and does not add anything more to the sentence.

J

J&K Tutoring

Edited to add the parts in red.

Well, at first I said
I agree. We are talking about two separate things. Some things installed may require only an inspection and not a test. Onboard is either one word or hyphenated. But then I read your OP again. This certificate refers only to this one valve, so we can logically assume there would be only one test associated with that valve, and thus the singular is appropriate, though I do still prefer the plural. In these cases, the plural also covers anything fewer, i.e. a single test.

Onboard installations are subject to the satisfaction of the attending surveyor.
And
On-board tests when required are subject to the satisfaction of the attending surveyor.
Or
On-board testing when required is subject to the satisfaction of the attending surveyor.

I left satisfaction in to use your sentence(s) as much as possible, but I pefer approval. I'm not too sure about surveyor either. Perhaps it should be inspector?

Onboard installations and testing (when required) are subject to the approval of the inspector.

Last edited:

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
It seems to me that "installation" means an activity (mounting) not an item.

If it is the case, then installation refers to mounting a valve/valves aboard a ship.

J

J&K Tutoring

It seems to me that "installation" means an activity (mounting) not an item.

If it is the case, then installation refers to mounting a valve/valves aboard a ship.

In this usage, installation includes not only the item itself, but also the way that it was installed including any other parts used to attach it to the ship (pipe fittings, attaching hardware, electrical connections, etc.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.