Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi.

I bought a stone which is used to make the knife sharp. Here we can buy it online. My friend asked me to have a drink with him and I said to him at that time "I have to sharpen the knife". (So I can't go out with him.)Is the italic sentence natural?

You should say 'I have to sharpen my knife', but as long as I live I don't think I'll ever hear a more feeble excuse for turning down a friend's offer of a drink.

I bought a sharpening stone for sharpening knives.

You should say 'I have to sharpen my knife', but as long as I live I don't think I'll ever hear a more feeble excuse for turning down a friend's offer of a drink.
Caroline Kennedy asked a friend of mine if he'd like to go get a beer. He said "I have to feed my lizards."

It's not feeble; it's sinister. I have Silence of the Lambs playing in my head at the thought of someone who turns down a date to sharpen their knives.

Yup. I'd never ask you out again!

I knew a woman who got rid of annoying guys by saying she had to block her hat.

Did she even own a hat?

I was like 12 before I realized there was an 'h' in 'whetstones'. Prior to that, I called it my 'wetstone'.

I honestly thought they were called that because we spit on them for lubricant. I always got a little carried away with the spitting anyway.

I was like 12

For the benefit of learners, there's evidence that the use of "like" either as a filler or instead of "about" isn't limited to teenage native speakers. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back