She has gone to New York for two weeks. She’ll be back tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alice Chu

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Please tell me the difference between the two sentences below.

1. She has gone to New York for two weeks. She’ll be back tomorrow.

2. She has been in New York for two weeks. She’ll be back tomorrow.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
You have asked a lot of questions about the present perfect, and you wrote these to sentences. What do you think might be the difference?

Alice Chu

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
“Has gone” refers to a completed action, and she is in New York now. From the context, we know she went to New York two weeks ago. Without the context, we can’t know when she went to New York, when she will come back, and how long she has been in New York.

2. She has been in New York for two weeks. She’ll be back tomorrow.
Even without the context, we know she has stayed in New York for two weeks. Today is her fourteenth day in New York.

Are the sentences below correct?

1. He will go to Germany for two weeks. He will visit his friends there.
2. He went to Germany for two weeks. He visited his friends and had a good time.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
“Has gone” refers to a completed action, and she is in New York now. From the context, we know she went to New York two weeks ago. Without the context, we can’t know when she went to New York, when she will come back, and how long she has been in New York.

I assume you mean that without "She'll be back tomorrow", we can't know when she went. Don't refer to that sentence as "context".
If it just said "She has gone to New York for two weeks", she could have left anytime between this morning and thirteen days ago.

Alice Chu

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I assume you mean that without "She'll be back tomorrow", we can't know when she went. Don't refer to that sentence as "context".
If it just said "She has gone to New York for two weeks", she could have left anytime between this morning and thirteen days ago.
She could be in New York now or still be on the way to New York. Is my understanding correct?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
She could be in New York now or still be on the way to New York. Is my understanding correct?
emsr2d2 wrote "she could have left anytime between this morning and thirteen days ago". At a push, she could even have left fourteen days ago.

So, she could be on the way to New York, she could be in New York, or she could even be on the way back from New York.

Status
Not open for further replies.