She ran quickly towards the door/She quickly ran towards the door.

Vladv1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
What does the placement of the adverb change in the examples. They are mine. She ran quickly towards the door/She quickly ran towards the door.
As I see it in "He quickly ran towards the door" the emphasis is on the adverb, whereas in "He ran quickly towards the door" the emphasis is on the verb. Please correct me.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Placing the adverb 'quickly' before or at the end of a verb phrase can express the sense that time was not wasted whereas placing it after the verb expresses the manner in which the action occurred. You can't see this difference very well in your example, so I'll change it.

After dinner, she quickly finished her homework and sat down on the couch, ready to start the film.

The idea is that she didn't want to waste time. She wanted to keep the time spent doing her homework and the time between dinner and watching the film as short as possible. It doesn't necessarily mean that she did her homework any faster than usual. The adverb 'quickly' is usually used with this meaning. It doesn't make an important difference whether you place it directly before or directly after the verb phrase:

After dinner, she finished her homework quickly and sat down on the couch, ready to begin.

If you want to use 'quickly' to mean 'at high speed', it's better off in the manner position, which is directly after the action verb that it modifies. Let's use 'fast', which has the same meaning of high speed that you want, to see this a bit more clearly:

She ran fast.

That's verb + adverb. Good.

It's not right to put a manner adverb before the verb (usually):

*She fast ran.

That's adverb + verb, which is wrong.

So, if you mean that she ran at high speed (which I guess you do), then say She ran quickly.

Last edited: