Should I use "send" or "sent" in "Would you mind If I sent you voice messages..."?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoli

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Romania
Should I use "send" or "sent" in "Would you mind If I sent you voice messages..."?

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Would you mind If I sent you voice messages once in a while?

or

[/FONT]Would you mind If I send you voice messages once in a while?
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
I feel like the second one is right, but I want to know your opinion as well. Thank you.
[/FONT]

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: Should I use "send" or "sent" in "Would you mind If I sent you voice messages..."

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Would you mind If I sent you voice messages once in a while?

or

[/FONT]Would you mind If I send you voice messages once in a while?

I would only use the second one.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Re: Should I use "send" or "sent" in "Would you mind If I sent you voice messages..."

Zoli, do you realize that the use of the past tense gives the request a sense of politeness?

abaka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

I think, though, that "sent" adds very little politeness here, given the cautious "would you mind" introduction.

I should rather understand the "sent" as indicating a somewhat hypothetical, and the "send", rather more of a definite, likelihood to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.