Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
I know 'since' is used when talking about a specific time in the past. For example, since 1996, since yesterday, etc. And we use 'for' when talking about a period of time. Even though 'since a very long time' is incorrect, as far as I understand adding 'ago' at the end should make the sentence correct.

I actually said it when someone asked me how long have I been going to the gym. When answering the question for some reason I wasn't able to recall in which year I first started going to the gym. I started with 'since....' but like I said, I couldn't remember which year. So I went something like:
"SInce......a very long time ago."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I know 'since' is used when talking about a specific time in the past. For example, "since 1996", "since yesterday", etc, and we use 'for' when talking about a period of time. Even though 'since a very long time' is incorrect, as far as I understand it, adding 'ago' at the end should make the sentence correct.

I actually said it when someone asked me how long have I have been going to the gym. When answering the question, for some reason I wasn't able to recall in which year I first started going to the gym. I started with 'since....' but, like as I said, I couldn't remember which year no full stop here so I went said something like:
"Since ... a very long time ago."
In your context, it's OK to say that.

Note my corrections above.

Ashraful Haque

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
In your context, it's OK to say that.

Note my corrections above.
Thank you for the corrections.
Just to be sure. Is there any context where saying "since a long time" (without 'ago') would be correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.