Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Hi,

I want to ask a question. I see that on some videos like this using: The number of university in Japan was higher than that of France. In this case why do we put into sentence that of France ? I mean we can write just smt. was greater than France or basically, both of them include the ditto meaning?

Hi,

I want to ask a question. I see [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] on some videos [STRIKE]like this using:[/STRIKE] The number of universities in Japan was higher than that [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] in France. In this case, why do we put into sentence "that [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] in France?" I mean we can write just [STRIKE]smt.[/STRIKE] "was greaterthan France." [STRIKE]or basically, both of them include the ditto meaning?[/STRIKE]

"That in France" corresponds to the number of universities in Japan. Otherwise, you would potentially be comparing a number with a country. :)

Jammyfellow, 'smt' is unacceptable as an abbreviation for 'something'.

Please write the word in full.

I used to be confused like the OP until I thought in the following way:

'The number of universities in Japan was higher than the number of universities in France.'
'The number of universities in Japan was higher than that in France.'

;-) :up: Whenever you use a pronoun it's a good idea to do a check like this. For example, in another post - by the same OP - the it in
Above 350.000 was spent by the French on computers while for the UK,it accounted for 350.000.

doesn't refer to anything. ;-)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back