Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Azerbaijani
Home Country
Azerbaijan
Current Location
Azerbaijan
When someone is sneezing and trembling how can I express this situation? The point is that she does it at the same time and I wanna express her situation where she both sneezes and trembles. May I say she sneezes in a trembling way? I want to snow her trembling too, but the verb "to tremble" should be used as an adverb not as a verb.

Thanks in advance

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No, that is very unnatural. A sneeze is one fast act, not a prolonged time of minor shaking. If she was already trembling (feverish, perhaps) you could express that but there is nothing about a sneeze that is done in a trembling way.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: Maybe you mean 'shiver'...? But 'a shivering way' isn't much better. Maybe 'She was shivering all the time and kept sneezing'...:-?

b

sevas

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Azerbaijani
Home Country
Azerbaijan
Current Location
Azerbaijan
okay, thank you guys for the answer. I was trying to translate a text from Turkish into English. Maybe that's one of weird problems of my trying to translate every single word.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm surprised there is a single word in Turkish to describe someone who sneezes while they are trembling! Isn't language wonderful? :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.