Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Malta
Current Location
Malta
Hi all.

Here's what a student of mine wrote:

"I often have to make something using apps which I haven’t used before, so I have to find instructions and learn how to use apps. Sometimes it might not be easy because I can’t find any information about some app and it makes me annoyed, so I just try to use this app at random and after time I win this app. I become happy about it, because I didn’t give up."

I've got two questions:
1) what is a better option for win? - I believe it means "finally being able to understand how the app works"; and
2) at random - it feels likes there's a better way to describe the way she uses an app.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Better: "I use the app at random." The phrase "at random" is still not a good word choice. Maybe she means "every once in a while".

As for "win", that does seem to mean " figure out" there. Maybe she sees it as something like playing a game.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi all.

Here's what a student of mine wrote:

"I often have to make something using apps which that I haven’t used before, so I have to find instructions and learn how to use those apps. Sometimes it might not be easy because I can’t find any information about some an/the app and it makes me annoyed, so I just try to use this app it without any help at random and after a bit of time I win this app work it out. I become That makes me happy about it no comma here because I didn’t give up."

I've got two questions:
1) What is a better option for than win? no dash here I believe it means "finally being able to understand how the app works". and
2) at random - it feels likes there's a better way to describe the way she uses an app.
Note my changes above, which will answer both your questions.

yuliyaon

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Malta
Current Location
Malta
Note my changes above, which will answer both your questions.
Thank you so much for the corrections! Can you please clarify why that should be used instead of which in the first sentence?

Status
Not open for further replies.