So I'm announcing the Xbox. The future of console gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
BILL GATES: So I'm announcing the Xbox. The future of console gaming. A whole new platform that all of you are going to take in directions that we can't even imagine, and the empowerment that comes out of this is going to be amazing. The power of X.

[source]
---
Why did he say "So I'm announcing the Xbox" rather than "So I announce the Xbox"? What is the difference in meaning between them?

(Update)

I've just found this. I think the words come from here. I mean, the words "So I'm announcing the Xbox" was edited from here.

[And I talked about this with a friend]

Friend: "I announce to you, the Xbox." sounds fine to me. "So I announce the xbox... [and the crowd cheers]..." - this would only fit if you are telling a story in present tense. "So I am announcing the xbox" - this works the best and you want it to be clear to the audience that I am "bill gates" officially announcing it.

Me: I think 'announce' can be in the present simple when you make a public or official statement

Friend: Not when you add "so" in there, because it sounds like there is a reason why you are doing this. You can say, to make it official. Like I said at the very top line of my original answer - "I announce to you, the Xbox" (this sounds official). If you add "so" in the "so I announce...[and the crowd cheers]...", this sounds like you are telling a story in the present.
---
What do you think?

Last edited:

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Why did he say "So I'm announcing the Xbox" rather than "So I announce the Xbox"?
It's the natural choice. He was describing what he was doing.

He could also have said "This is to announce the Xbox". But "I announce the Xbox" sounds a little stiff to me.

Friend: "I announce to you, the Xbox." sounds fine to me.
I suppose this is possible too.

Friend: Not when you add "so" in there, because it sounds like there is a reason why you are doing this.
I don't think the "so" makes any difference. "So" is routinely used as a filler, with no real meaning.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I've just found this.
His original speech:

... but as we saw the opportunity we got very, very enthused and so what I want to go through here is my excitement about this new product and to make it clear the incredible commitment that we have to this product, so I'm announcing the Xbox, which we’re modestly titling but the modest tagline here is the future of console gaming ...

@Barque

So, as you said, it's the natural choice bcause he was describing what he was doing. "So I announce the Xbox" could also work but wouldn't be as natural. Is that right?

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
"So I announce the Xbox" could also work but wouldn't be as natural. Is that right?
I prefer to say that "I'm announcing the Xbox" sounds more natural, and not that "I announce the Xbox" is less natural.

And there are often many ways to say something in English, but you can only actually use one.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I prefer to say that "I'm announcing the Xbox" sounds more natural, and not that "I announce the Xbox" is less natural.
Why do you mean? Do you mean that while "I'm announcing the Xbox" sounds more natural, "I announce the Xbox" is also okay? :unsure:

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
You asked if "announce" is less natural. I said I preferred to say that "announcing" is more natural. It's just a way of putting it.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"I announce" is definitely less natural. We almost never use the simple present to describe what we are doing.

"What are you doing?"

"I am watching TV."

That is natural. We wouldn't say "I watch TV" except to describe an habitual act.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
"I announce" is definitely less natural. We almost never use the simple present to describe what we are doing.

"What are you doing?"

"I am watching TV."

That is natural. We wouldn't say "I watch TV" except to describe an habitual act.
That's true, but some verbs can be used in the present simple to indicate what is happening now. For example, I declare this bridge open. And I thought "announce" was like "declare". 😅

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
For example, I declare this bridge open.

The content of the sentence also makes a difference. "I declare [something] open" is somewhat of a set phrase.

And I thought "announce" was like "declare". 😅
Not always. I'm afraid you'll have to develop a feel for what's correct and what's not. There's no single rule.

In my opinion, you can't learn English by just learning grammatical principles and applying them, because there are too many exceptions. You have to learn customary usage and then figure out how the grammar works.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I thought "announce" was like "declare".
The standard term for revealing new technology from a specific company is "announce".

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That's true, but some verbs can be used in the present simple to indicate what is happening now. For example, I declare this bridge open. And I thought "announce" was like "declare". 😅

Maybe if you're issuing a royal proclamation. Otherwise, no.

Status
Not open for further replies.