Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
“The last time we saw each other, you pulled a knife on me. So if you could spare me the banter, that’d be great.” ??

Skip the small talk.
Refrain from talking about unimportant matters.

Skip the small talk.
Refrain from talking about unimportant matters.

That's what I thought at first, and it may well be right: the speaker's saying 'I know you're potentially hostile, so skip the small talk.' The way to check on this meaning would be to see what the knife-merchant has just said. If it's polite, and seemingly friendly, this interpretation is right.

On the other hand, the writer may have a more limited view of the meaning of banter. This usage comes from the sports field, where a player tries to unsettle an opponent by being abusive. The original meaning of banter is shown in the player's defensive self-justification: 'It was just banter - can't he take a joke?'

But increasingly, sports commentators have endowed 'banter' with a hostile meaning. (A similar narrowing of meaning has happened to the phrase 'tired and emotional', often used to mean 'drunk'.)

So (returning to Demonglass) if the knife-merchant has just said something unpleasant, the speaker may be thinking of the more negative sense of 'banter'.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back