Student or Learner
Native Language
Malagasy
Home Country
Benin
Current Location
Belgium
Hi all

I want you to give me a plain and simple explanation of the difference between the use of the word " subject+ preposition in these two sentences

1_ Humans are subject to death .

2-Humans are subjected to death .

In the first sentence the word which is written in red is adjective and in the second sentence its verb so we can add "ed"
Am I correct?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There is a nice discussion this here: Merriam-Webster's Learner's Dictionary

See specifically this:
Subjected to means "to cause or force (someone or something) to experience (something harmful, unpleasant, etc.)."

"Race car engines are subjected to extreme performance demands." ["Race car engines are forced to experience extreme performance demands."]

By contrast, subject to means "affected by or possibly affected by (something)" or "likely to do, have, or suffer from (something)" -- more neutral ideas that indicate a state of being or a fact:

"This area is subject to flooding." ["This area is likely to have flooding."]

People do die - it's a fact. To say they are "subject to" death could makes it sounds like some don't actually die, but it's still technically okay.

However, unless you're writing about people who were killed by others (i.e., they were forced to experience it), then "subjected to" is not right.

beast

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Malagasy
Home Country
Benin
Current Location
Belgium
Thank you for clarifying this poin :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.