Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
These sentences are taken from this website:https://www.k12reader.com/term/superlative-adverbs/

I didn't forget about the one question per thread rule, but I am asking about the different use of superlative adverbs. I am studying them now and I was wondering if my comments are correct.

1. "Josh is the fastest runner on the team." Omitting the article is wrong.

2. "Caroline smiles the most sweetly." Without "the" "most sweetly" means very sweetly or Caroline is compared to other people and she smiles "the most sweetly" compared to others.

3. "Our rotary telephone is the least frequently used device in our house." I don't know if it can be omitted or not.

4. "Ben moved most quietly as the boys walked down the darkened ally." "The most quietly" would mean the same as in the second example. He is compared.

5. "The last remark was the least clearly stated. I can't say if the article can be omitted.

6. "Karen accepted the award most graciously." The same as #2 and #4.

7. "The accident occurred most abruptly." I am not sure if the article can be used.

8. "Lisa drives most carefully in heavy traffic." The same as #2 and #4.

8. "I most anxiously await your arrival." I can't say if "the" can be added.

9. "Kerri most assuredly did not do what you accused her of." Not sure if "the" can be added.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The short answer: The meanings of many of those will change depending on whether you use "the." For example:

- "Karen accepted the award most graciously" means she accepted it VERY graciously.

- "Karen accepted the award the most graciously" means that she accepted it MORE graciously than everyone else who received it.

But that's not true of every sentence you provided. The word "the" changes some and doesn't change others. And the changes it causes are different in different examples.

That's why it's better to ask just one question at a time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
The short answer: The meanings of many of those will change depending on whether you use "the." For example:

- "Karen accepted the award most graciously" means she accepted it VERY graciously.

- "Karen accepted the award the most graciously" means that she accepted it MORE graciously than everyone else who received it.

But that's not true of every sentence you provided. The word "the" changes some and doesn't change others. And the changes it causes are different in different examples.

That's why it's better to ask just one question at a time.

In this example 3. "Our rotary telephone is the least frequently used device in our house." Can it be omitted?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In this example 3. "Our rotary telephone is the least frequently used device in our house." Can it be omitted?
If you mean 'Can "the" be omitted?'

No.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
If you mean 'Can "the" be omitted?'

No.

Then, probably, it cannot be omitted here either:
5. "The last remark was the least clearly stated." Is it because omitting "the" is wrong before "least"?

Status
Not open for further replies.