Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
There's a sentence in my geography revision book that to me doesn't make sense.
"Sustainable approaches to water supply focus on:
-management of water resources
-reducing waste and excessive demand"
I've underlined the part the doesn't make sense to me. the reason it doesn't make sense to me is that it is saying "to noun verb" when I think it should be "to verb noun". can you explain to me why it does make sense if it does if it doesn't also please let me know.

Thanks,

Scott

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There's a sentence in my geography revision book that, to me, doesn't make sense.

"Sustainable approaches to water supply focus on:
-management of water resources
-reducing waste and excessive demand"

I've underlined the part [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] that doesn't make sense to me. The reason it doesn't make sense to me is that it is saying "to noun verb" when I think it should be "to verb noun". Can you explain to me why it does make sense (if it does)? If it doesn't, also please let me know.

[STRIKE]Thanks,[/STRIKE] Unnecessary. Thank us after we help you by clicking on the "Thank" button.

[STRIKE]Scott[/STRIKE]Unnecessary. We can see your username.

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

It simply uses "water supply" as a compound noun (two nouns together to create another noun). "Supply" there is not a verb. It's "Sustainable approaches to the supply of water".

Note my corrections to your post above. It's important to use correct capitalisation and punctuation at all times. This is particularly important because your member profile shows that you are a native English speaker. As such, learners of English as a second language on this forum will assume that everything you write is correct.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.