Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
I found the expression sweet talk that means "a way of talking to someone in a pleasing or funny way in order to persuade them to do or believe something" by Cambridge Dictionary.

Can I say that someone is a "sweet talker" in order to express the idea that the person is good in persuading others?

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Can I say that someone is a "sweet talker" in order to express the idea that the person is good in persuading others?
I'd say "smooth talker" to describe someone like that. It can suggest a person who isn't completely sincere or genuine, so you need to be careful about how you use the term. A more complimentary thing to say might be "He has a way with words".

I usually associate "sweet talker" with a different context--a man who's good at charming the ladies.

Last edited:

Princessdi50

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Trinidad Tobago
Current Location
Trinidad Tobago
I do agree with the response to your question. It is a cultural thing. In my culture, it is a common term that has to be viewed in context to determine its meaning. Politicians are often referred to as " sweet talkers" as their objective is to ammas votes. In another context, a male wanting to win the affection of a female is referred to as a "sweet talker" as a result of his charismatic approach. It can get complicated so be careful with the "Sweet Talk"!

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I found the expression sweet talk that means "a way of talking to someone in a pleasing or funny way in order to persuade them to do or believe something" by Cambridge Dictionary.

Can I say that someone is a "sweet talker" in order to express the idea that the person is good at persuading others?
It probably doesn't work in that context.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I don't see at all how Collins dictionary disagrees with @Tarheel. We snd he are discussing nouns here. The link provided to Collins Dictionary is only about "sweet-talk" as a verb.

Last edited:

iagomxx

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
I'd say "smooth talker" to describe someone like that. It can suggest a person who isn't completely sincere or genuine, so you need to be careful about how you use the term. A more complimentary thing to say might be "He has a way with words".

I usually associate "sweet talker" with a different context--a man who's good at charming the ladies.
You could say that the person has a silver tongue, or is silver-tongued:

So could we say that a sweet talker is usually associated to a person good at charming ladies but it can be used in other contexts.
A smooth talker is a person good with words in order at persuading people.
A silver tongue is a characteristic of being skilful at persuading people that someone could have.
A silver tongued is an adjective to express the idea of someone with a silver tongue as a "a silver-tongued salesman".

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@iagomxx That is one long sentence that should be at least three sentences.

Status
Not open for further replies.