Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Japan
I have always used the preposition "to" in a sentences like the following ones:<br><br><ul><li>He takes her <strong>to </strong>his house.<strong></strong></li><li>She takes the dog <strong>to</strong> the park.</li></ul><br>Thus the questions on "where....?" should be:<br><br><ul><li>Where does he take her <strong>to</strong>?</li><li>Where does she take the dog<strong> to</strong>?</li></ul><br>But I saw in a book a simiilar question without the preposition <strong>to:</strong><br><em><br>Where does Oliver take Charles?</em><br><br> I was wondering if both versions (with and without <strong>to</strong>) are correct and if yes, whether they would be correct in every situations. I suppose that it might be correct only in a question, otherwise omitting the <strong>to</strong> in the following two sentences is definitely wrong. (Or am I wrong?)<br><em><br>He takes her his house.<br>She takes the dog the park.<br><br></em>The only sentence that, in my opinion, would work well without <strong>to </strong>is when the place is <strong>home </strong>as in:<br><br><strong></strong>She takes him home  (<strong>to home</strong> would definitely be wrong).<br><br><strong><br></strong>There is something else that I'd like to ask about. I am pretty sure that there are situations in which both "take" and "bring" someone somewhere would be OK, as in:<br><br><em>I'll take you to the library.</em><br><em>I'll bring you to the library .<br><br><br></em>I sense a slight difference in the meaning. "Take" might be more appropriate if I was asked to bring someone to the library. Anyway, notwithstanding a possible differnece in the meaning, both appear to me to be grammatically correct.<br><br>It would be useful if someone could kindly provide an explanation about the substantial differences between "take someone somehwere" and "bring someone somewhere".<br><br><br>

I am sorry. I do not know what happend. There must have been a technical problem!

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I have always used the preposition "to" in a sentences like the following ones:He takes her to his house.She takes the dog to the park.Thus the questions on "where....?" should be:Where does he take her to?Where does she take the dog to? But I saw in a book a simiilar question without the preposition to:Where does Oliver take Charles? I was wondering if both versions (with and without to) are correct and if yes, whether they would be correct in every situations. I suppose that it might be correct only in a question, otherwise omitting the to in the following two sentences is definitely wrong. (Or am I wrong?) He takes her his house.She takes the dog the park.The only sentence that, in my opinion, would work well without to is when the place is home as in:She takes him home (to home would definitely be wrong).There is something else that I'd like to ask about. I am pretty sure that there are situations in which both "take" and "bring" someone somewhere would be OK, as in:I'll take you to the library.I'll bring you to the library .I sense a slight difference in the meaning. "Take" might be more appropriate if I was asked to bring someone to the library. Anyway, notwithstanding a possible differnece in the meaning, both appear to me to be grammatically correct.It would be useful if someone could kindly provide an explanation about the substantial differences between "take someone somehwere" and "bring someone somewhere".

I am sorry. I do not know what happend. There must have benn a technical problem!
I have removed the formatting from your post, so I think that's what you meant. I'll let someone else deal with your actual question; I don't have enough time. In future, please do not use external formatting features.

misu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Japan
I did not use any external formatting features or the like. Honestly, I do not even know what you mean by that. The problem was that when I finished writing my posting, as soon as I clicked on "post", the sistem said that I had been logged out. I logged in again but my posting was gone. So I clicked back on my browser and then the problem occurred.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You might put to at the end of those questions, but it's a little wordy, because the word to is understood: (To) where does she take her dog?

Better:

- Where does she take her dog?

- Where does Oliver take Charles?​

We would never say "She takes her dog the park." That would mean she delivers a tract of public land to her pet. In your examples, you have to use to in a statement but not in the answer to a question.

Native English speakers often interchange take and bring, so it's not a big issue. But the correct usages are simple:

- We bring things here.

- We take things there.

So if you're in the park, you'd say she's bringing the dog. If you're not, you'd say she's taking it.

Last edited:

misu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Japan
I like the way #Charlie answers questions.Clear and straight to the point. There are some people who cannot make it without their "smart" comments or playing the heroes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I like the way #Charlie answers questions.Clear and straight to the point. There are some people who cannot make it without their "smart" comments or playing the heroes.

Better:

There are some people who can't answer a question without being clever.

(You always have the option of putting somebody on "Ignore". (If you put me on "Ignore" you will be denied my brilliancies.))

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You'll hear speakers of American and Irish English in particular say 'I'm going to the park and I'm bringing the dog with me', whereas I'd say '... and I'm taking the dog with me'.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Better:

(You always have the option of putting somebody on "Ignore". (If you put me on "Ignore" you will be denied my brilliancies.))

I thought I'd edited out the derogatory part, but somehow my edit didn't stick.

Misu, please refrain from complaining about the volunteers who offer their help here. If you think a post violates forum rules, you can click the "Report" button at the bottom. Moderators will review it and take any appropriate action.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I thought I'd edited out the derogatory part, but somehow my edit didn't stick.

Well, if you had been more successful with your edit everyone would have been denied my clever comments. We can't have that, can we?
;-)

Rollercoaster1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Well, if you had been more successful with your edit everyone would have been denied my clever comments. We can't have that, can we?
;-)

'...would have been denied...' or '...would have denied...'?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
'...would have been denied...' or '...would have denied...'?
Tarheel is a native speaker, and a proficient one at that. You're not going to catch him making such mistakes.
"Would have been denied" is correct. It means "would have been deprived of (reading/enjoying the comments)" in that context.

Rollercoaster1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Tarheel is a native speaker, and a proficient one at that. You're not going to catch him making such mistakes.
"Would have been denied" is correct. It means "would have been deprived of (reading/enjoying the comments)" in that context.

I admire every helping hand here. When I ask if someone has made a mistake, it's all because I want to clear the doubts that flash through my mind.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Better:

What! I'm not clever?

I'll work on it . . . .

misu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Japan
#Goestation, thank you for your remark but I am not complaining.

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia

The first two sentences should be joined, maybe with a dash.
cannot do (not make) it.
playing (no the) heroes.

Status
Not open for further replies.