Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Ignoring the science regarding duration of contact, Justice Neil Gorsuch taunted, in his concurrence, “it may be unsafe to go to church, but it is always fine to pick up another bottle of wine, shop for a new bike, or spend the aftenoon exploring your distal points and meridians.”

Source: New England Journal of Medicine

Does concurrence mean agreement here?

You haven't given us much context but I don't see any reason for thinking it doesn't. Why do you suspect it doesn't?

He agrees with whatever judgement the court has made.

Yes. There are three possible types of opinions from the Supreme Court.

1. The majority opinion, which is the official ruling of the court.
2. Dissenting opinions, one or more writings from justices whose side lost the vote to decide the case
3. Concurring opinions, optional additional opinions from one or more justices who voted with the winning side, but want to state different reasons or interpretations than the majority opinion.

You haven't given us much context but I don't see any reason for thinking it doesn't. Why do you suspect it doesn't?

He agrees with whatever judgement the court has made.

I simply checked out the definition in New Oxford American English Dictionary and wondered there might be more in other dictionaries in which one of them may be more accurate. Hence the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back