Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
It's OK to make a sentence like "He is a two-year-old child".

Is it also correct to say "This is ten-dollar-worth candy"?

It seems to be wrong. What do you say?

Holmes

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It would be possible to say "This is ten-dollar-priced candy" if the candy were worth ten dollars apiece, but most people would just say "This is ten-dollar candy" in that case.

Last edited:

Holmes

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That sounds most unnatural to me.
It's a point about what's possible grammatically. Please read the rest of my sentence. I give the natural construction too.

Holmes

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It does not seem grammatical to me.
Well, it does seem grammatical to me. Do you not see the grammatical pattern it exemplifies? Would you like me to help you to perceive its grammaticality?

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
It seems like a very rare usage. Here's another example: "And, in a world of forty-dollar-priced water bottles that waffle between status symbols and fashion accessories, Nalgene remains a tried and true staple at a cost-effective price of under fifteen dollars" (by Ron & Lisa Beres; https://ronandlisa.com/the-make-everyday-earth-day-sweepstakes/).

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm with 5jj in that I would class "ten-dollar priced candy" and "forty-dollar-priced water bottles" as ungrammatical. Maybe they're used and are considered natural in AmE and wherever WhiteHat picked up their English, but they're considered wrong in BrE.

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
That's what I absolutely love about this great language - it is so multi-faceted! And by the way I'm a male. So you may use 'his'.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm with 5jj in that I would class "ten-dollar priced candy" and "forty-dollar-priced water bottles" as ungrammatical. Maybe they're used and are considered natural in AmE and wherever WhiteHat picked up their English, but they're considered wrong in BrE.
Take the "priced" off and you have "ten-dollar candy" -- a fairly common type of expression.

Holmes

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Shall learners here be led, then, to believe that no competent British speaker perceives the pattern [number]+[unit]+[past participle] [head noun] to be grammatical?
  • Twelve-year-aged whisky is the best. (whisky that has been aged ten years)
  • Three-coat-painted walls look really nice. (walls that have received three coats of paint)
Do you and 5jj say those are not only unnatural but totally ungrammatical to all competent speakers of British English? Only some sloppy Americans might accept them.

What do you make of the 749 Google results for "dollar-priced products," the 2980 results for "penny-priced product," and the 1290 results for "penny-priced options"?

The trouble with calling things ungrammatical is that you're saying the underlying pattern is faulty. It's much safer to stick to mere subjective judgements about naturalness.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Shall learners here be led, then, to believe that no competent British speaker perceives the pattern [number]+[unit]+[past participle] [head noun] to be grammatical?
I was speaking specifically of 'a ten-dollar-priced candy'
  • Twelve-year-aged whisky is the best. (whisky that has been aged ten years)
  • Three-coat-painted walls look really nice. (walls that have received three coats of paint)
Do you and 5jj say those are not only unnatural but totally ungrammatical to all competent speakers of British English?
The first of those two seems OK to me; the second does not.

Only some sloppy Americans might accept them.
Don't be silly.
What do you make of the 749 Google results for "dollar-priced products," the 2980 results for "penny-priced product," and the 1290 results for "penny-priced options"?
I think that there is a difference between 'penny-priced options' and 'a ten-dollar-priced candy'

Status
Not open for further replies.