... that Jim is his adversary, when in reality, ...

nuclearegg69

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Comma use

In the 'Office' series, Dwight makes it seem that Jim is his adversary, when in reality, there are best friends.

or

In the 'Office' series, Dwight makes it seem that Jim is his adversary, when, in reality, there are best friends.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have a question about comma use.

In the series 'The Office', series, Dwight makes it seem that Jim is his adversary, when in reality, there they are best friends.
or
2. In the series 'The Office', series, Dwight makes it seem that Jim is his adversary, when, in reality, they are best friends.
Please note my corrections above. I've changed your thread title, too. Titles should include some/all of the words/phrases/sentences you're asking us about. When you give us more than one sentence to look at, please number them. Take care with titles - the series is called "The Office".

I wouldn't punctuate it in either way. I'd write:

In "The Office", Dwight makes it seem as if Jim is his adversary when, in reality, they're best friends.

nuclearegg69

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Please note my corrections above. I've changed your thread title, too. Titles should include some/all of the words/phrases/sentences you're asking us about. When you give us more than one sentence to look at, please number them. Take care with titles - the series is called "The Office".

I wouldn't punctuate it in either way. I'd write:

In "The Office", Dwight makes it seem as if Jim is his adversary when, in reality, they're best friends.
Thank you so much. That is better. Thank you for pointing out the issue with the series naming too.

I will definitely make sure to adhere to the post style guides in the future.