Home Country
France
Current Location
United States
a. That movie confused me visually.
b. That movie visually confused me.
c. Visually, that movie confused me.

Do these sentences mean the same?

I think there is a difference between (a) on one hand and (b) and (c) on the other.
I think in (a) the visual methods used in the movie confused me. I am saying how (in what manner) the movie confused me.
In (b) and (c), it seems as if I am saying that 'as a visual experience' the movie was confusing for me. When I consider it from that point of view, I have to say that it was confusing.

Am I correct? Maybe (b) has both meanings?

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
I really don't understand what "visually confused" is. I can understand someone not being able to follow a film's plot, but what do you mean by "confused me visually"?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Where did you find these sentences? Did you make them up yourself?

• Thanks
Reactions: azz

azz

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
United States
Thank you both so much.

Yes, I do make some sentences up myself to figure out how the grammar works. I will try to avoid doing that. My apologies.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There's nothing wrong with making sentences up yourself - in fact we encourage it. You just need to state that they're yours so there's no question of copyright.

All three versions are fine, and mean the same to me. I don't quite get the distinction you're trying to make, to be honest.

To me, they all mean the same - some visual aspect of the movie confused you. .

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Thank you both so much.

Yes, I do make some sentences up myself to figure out how the grammar works. I will try to avoid doing that. My apologies.
I'd suggest that when you make a sentence up, make one up with a definite meaning that you can explain if necessary. It's always easier to explain sentences that make sense.

I'm afraid I still don't understand "visually confused". It sounds as if you couldn't understand what appeared on the screen. Now I might sometimes not understand what someone in a film said or did, but I've never been confused about what something on the screen was. And when I can't understand the meaning of a sentence, I can't explain it either.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.