[Grammar] The complete rewrite of the GPU Virtual Memory Manager fixes several bugs ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Progress Report July 2020

[...]
Paper Mario: The Origami King fixes

To begin with, Rodrigo implemented several fixes to make Paper Mario: The Origami King playable: [...]

• Lighting issues were fixed by implementing the S2R.LaneId instruction in the shader decoder.
[...]

New GPU Virtual Memory Manager
bunnei brings the big guns. The complete rewrite of the GPU Virtual Memory Manager fixes several bugs in many games, with the two strongest examples being Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Now several graphical bugs are fixed in Mario Kart 8, including tracks that show invisible terrain or missing graphics. In Smash’s case, there are no more vertex explosions now.
[...]

Bug fixes and improvements
Accompanying the recent addition of 32-bit emulation support, bunnei implemented support for the creation of random and default Miis. This does not include full support for custom ones for now. With Miis in place, games like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe can now get past their menus and become playable.

[...]
That’s all for now, folks! Until the August progress report!

https://yuzu-emu.org/entry/yuzu-progress-report-jul-2020/
-----
1. The blue parts are in the present tense while the red parts in the past simple. I don't understand the
use of the former. For me, I think that those have happened, when the writer is writing the article. Why not just use the past simple? Is the writer giving them a sense of immediacy?

2. As for the green part, can I take it to mean something like:

(We won't meet)
Until the August progress report!

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
1. Is the writer giving them a sense of immediacy?
I read it like a news headline.

2. As for the green part, can I take it to mean something like:

(We won't meet) Until the August progress report!
That's all ... until the August progress report.

There's nothing more to say now. There'll be more in August.

PeterCW

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
When approaching a document like this you must remember that it isn't written as a single consistent piece of prose. Each section is probably a separate composition possibly based on somebody else's report.

In my business life I have composed articles drawing from a number of press releases and it is very easy to switch tense when you start a paragraph that draws on a different source document. As people were paying to read my prose I submitted it to a proof reader to find those errors; I don't think that the author of your document bothered.

Last edited by a moderator:

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Thank you both. :)

For question (1), what confuses me is why some in the present tense while some in the past tense. They aren't in agreement. Is this writing style natural to native speakers?

(Cross-posted with PeterCW. I think that PeterCW answered this question here to some extent.)

Last edited:

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
In my business life I have composed articles drawing from a number of press releases and it is very easy to switch tense when you start a paragraph that draws on a different source document. As people were paying to read my prose I submitted it to a proof reader to find those errors; I don't think that the author of your document bothered.

Should it be "... I have composed articles drawing on a number of press releases ..."? :)

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Last edited:

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
(Update)

This thread has been a little mixed up, so I'm going to contact a moderator to close it. And I'll start up a new one.

:)
Could members tell me about the red part above? Do you think that "drawn from" and "drawn on" here mean the same?

What do you think about the thoughts below?
I think the pattern is:

draw something from something What conclusions did you draw from the report?
https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/draw_1?q=draw

So I found the original use a little strange. That's why I would rewrite it as "... I have composed articles drawing on a number of press releases ...", which uses the phrasal verb draw on.

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thread closed at OP's request.