Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I'm trying to describe the cartoon character in the picture. It's a logo of a local hotpot restaurant. I think the cartoon chatacters symbolises that the hot pot in the restaurant is spicy.

微信图片_20240308134526.png

a) The doll can exhale fire.
b) The doll can breathe fire.

Are my italic versions natural?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm trying to describe the cartoon character in the picture. It's a logo of a local hotpot restaurant. I think the cartoon CHARACTER symbolises that the hot pot in the restaurant is spicy.

View attachment 5876

a) The doll can exhale fire.
b) The doll can breathe fire.

Are my italic versions natural?
They're OK. However, I'm pretty sure it's supposed to represent a customer, not a doll.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I was trying to describe the little boy in the picture but I don't know if there's a term for that. Also, will people really use "exhale fire" in spoken English?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Don't use 'can', since you're not talking about his ability. Don't use 'doll', since this is meant to be a human, not a doll, and use the present continuous, not the present simple.

Try again.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I was trying to describe the little boy in the picture but I don't know if there's a term for that. Also, will people really use "exhale fire" in spoken English?
Not normally, but that's not supposed to be real. (I like spicy food, but I don't know if that would work on me.)

dunchee

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
United States
That cartoon reminds me of Red Boy, a well-known character in China "featured in the 16th century novel Journey to the West."(*1) This mythical yōkai(*2) can breathe fire. Perhaps that's why that restaurant uses him in their logo.

(*1) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Boy
(*2) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yōkai "... yōkai are not demons in the Western sense of the word," but in Japanese cartoons dubbed or subtitled in English, they are often called demons.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Don't use 'can', since you're not talking about his ability. Don't use 'doll', since this is meant to be a human, not a doll, and use the present continuous, not the present simple.

Try again.
The little boy is exhaling/breathing fire.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The food is spicy hot. Is he exhaling fire? Yes, but in a good way. It's like saying, "Do you like hot food? Well, we've got it!"

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Good. Use 'breathing' instead of 'exhaling'.
I wouldn't. The idea is that after he eats the spicy hot food then fire comes out of his mouth. Of course, if that really happened nobody would want to eat that stuff. 😊

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Bear in mind that "breathing fire" is pretty much a set phrase. I'm sure you've seen pictures of dragons with fire coming out of their mouths. They're described that way.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I suggested 'breathe fire' rather than 'exhale fire' mainly for the strength of the collocation—as emsr2d2 said, it's pretty much a set phrase. The way I understand the picture is that the little boy is doing it intentionally, so I think 'breathe fire' fits the meaning well too.