"The east of Seaville was almost empty in 1980 with only sand dunes, a tea room, and river, to the east of which was a river bank named East Bank..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Igbo
Home Country
Nigeria
Current Location
Nigeria
"The east of Seaville was almost empty in 1980 with only sand dunes, a tea room, and river, to the east of which was a river bank named East Bank. It is worth noting that these things bounded the eastern part of the coastal village; they were at the edge of the village. By 2010, however, a retirement village, boat club, hotel and restaurant had been added. Additionally, the main road dividing the village into two sections (western and eastern sections) was extended to reach the east bank, and holiday cottages were rebuilt on this bank."

1) Is my use of 'with' in the 1st sentence correct, and do I have to put a comma before it?

2) Is "...extended to reach the east bank" grammatical?

3) Regarding the use of 'rebuilt', can I say "rebuilt on this bank"?

4) Is it correct to say "rebuilt in the southeast of the village" and "rebuilt (to the) west of the extended road"?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Can you post a picture of what you're describing?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
"The east of Seaville was almost empty in 1980 with only sand dunes, a tea room, and the river, all of which , to the east of which was a river bank named East Bank. It is worth noting that these things bounded the eastern part of the coastal village; they were at the edge of the town. village. By 2010, however, a retirement village, boat club, hotel and restaurant had been added. Additionally, the main road dividing running down through the centre of the town village into two sections (western and eastern sections) was extended to reach the east bank, and holiday cottages were re built on this bank."
See above.
I am assuming that Seaville is a town rather than a village.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Igbo
Home Country
Nigeria
Current Location
Nigeria
Thank you very much. Seaville is a coastal village. Please, can you help me check the 2nd paragraph.

By contrast, in 1980, the west of the coastal village had a woodland, marsh, hotel, and holiday cottages, in addition to two roads, but by 2010, permanent houses had replaced the marsh and holiday cottages, and there was a golf course occupying the site of the woodland. The hotel, however, remained unchanged in terms of size and location, as did the roads.

Status
Not open for further replies.