Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I encountered the sentence "The f**king nerve", but am struggling to understand it. Could you please let me know what it means? Here is the excerpt:

I got out of the elevator, forgot to tell her that its doors shut very, very quickly, and suddenly saw Clara with her package violently shoved out of the elevator by the closing door. “The f**king door. The f**king nerve.” She kept cursing at the door all the way down the corridor to my apartment.

- André Aciman, Eight White Nights, Fifth Night

This is a novel published in the United States of America in 2010. It is narrated by a nameless male protagonist. He meets Clara at a Christmas party in Manhattan. Four days after the party, Clara comes to his house. But she is caught at the fast-moving elevator door and says "The f**king nerve."

I wonder what the underlined expression means.
I learned in the dictionary that "nerve" can mean "cord-like structures that connect the central nervous system", as in "the optical nerve", but I am not sure what it means here.
The only thing I can vaguely guess is just that she is expressing extreme surprise... o_O

Last edited by a moderator:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
See definition #4 here.

ps. I have shortened the title so that it doesn't shout at us in the list of posts.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That expression ascribes human qualities to an inanimate object. In other words, she is mad at the elevator for closing its doors on her on purpose. Her language suggests that she sees the elevator as having a quality (motive) that it does not possess.

Coffee Break

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
@5jj and @Tarheel,

Thank you very much for the explanations.
So "nerve" has the fourth meaning, like the following:

UNCOUNTABLE a rude attitude, usually shown by behavior that makes other people angry
have the nerve to do something:
She had the nerve to call me a liar after everything I’ve done for her.
a lot of nerve/some nerve:
You’ve got a lot of nerve, calling me at this time of night.
the nerve of someone (=used for showing anger or surprise at someone’s rude behavior):
The nerve of him, asking me for money!

So, by saying that the elevator has the "nerve", she is saying that the elevator showed her "a rude attitude" towards her, as if the elevator was a person.

And thank you also for modifying the four-letter word in the title. I would make sure to post them with asterisks when the quote I am asking has the four-letter word.

I sincerely appreciate your help, for letting me understand. :)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@5jj and @Tarheel,

Thank you very much for the explanations.
So "nerve" has the fourth meaning, like the following:

So, by saying that the elevator has the "nerve", she is saying that the elevator displayed "a rude attitude" towards her, as if the elevator was a person.

And thank you also for modifying the four-letter word in the title. I would make sure to post them with asterisks when the quote I am asking has the four-letter word.

I sincerely appreciate your help.. :)
I helped you understand it. (At least that's the idea.) But "letting" doesn't work there.

Status
Not open for further replies.