Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: The Fiction of Reality, part six

Fifth paragraph. Say:

Sweden has changed so much for the worse over the past two or three decades that he pities the new generations. They will never have the same high standard of living that his does.

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden

Tarheel,
Sweden needed people in the 1960s when the large companies like Volvo, Saab, Bofors and others needed workers. There were jobs everywhere at that time, and immigrants from Italy, Yugoslavia, Greece and Portugal arrived in their thousands. Soon they became part of society. There were almost never any problems and crime was low. But about two decades ago, someone in the Swedish government had came up with the idea that if Sweden wants to maintain high standard of living and high production, the country needs to import hundreds of thousands new people. Of course, they would like to import people from the EU countries, but people in other EU countries are not interested in paying such high taxes and live in a cold country where everything is so expensive. Therefore Sweden imports other people, no matter who they are. The problem is that the majority of them are illiterate or have low level of education. Sometimes I cannot believe I live in the 21th century in Europe. You feel like in a bad dream, which unfortunately goes on and on. I am glad I have no children of my own to grow up in this society.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Say:

an evening with their friends

And:

from countries where women are treated as chattel

(There may be a typo or two that I ignored.)

Status
Not open for further replies.