Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I'm trying to describe what I see in this photo:

1024px-Westminster_Bridge_and_Palace_of_Westminster.jpg

What do I call those green things? Moss?

Do these work?

1. He stood on the riverbank, taking in his surroundings. He stared at the moss-coated bridge columns, looked up at parapet and the flow of cars on the bridge, and his gaze finally settled on Big Ben.

2. He sat on the riverbank, processing his surroundings. His gaze moved from the moss-draped bridge columns, up to the battered bridge parapet and the flow of cars on the bridge, and finally settled on Big Ben.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The green [STRIKE]thing[/STRIKE] stuff/growth might be moss, but it's more likely to be lichen (pronounced liken).

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm trying to describe what I see in this photo:

View attachment 4173

What do I call those green things? Moss?

Do these work?

1. He stood on the riverbank, taking in his surroundings. He stared at the moss-coated bridge columns, looked up at the parapet and the flow of cars on the bridge, and his gaze finally settled on Big Ben.

2. He sat on the riverbank, processing his surroundings. His gaze moved from the moss-draped bridge columns, up to the battered bridge parapet and the flow of cars on the bridge, and finally settled on Big Ben.

OK.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I would call the green growth moss too. It thrives on damp surfaces especially in tropical climate and is unsightly.

I would say "it stained/soiled (not draped) the walls".

The barrier on top of the bridge is not exactly a parapet, which is a solid wall, but a decorative balustrade, which has voids.

The arched masonry bridge is not supported on columns (tall, slender leg-like structures) but concrete plinths.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.