Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Assamese
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
British English dictionaries define "weigh up" as "carefully assess someone or something" or something to that effect. But American English dictionaries don't have an entry for that phrasal verb.

Do you (if you are an American) use, or have you heard anyone from the States use that phrase?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As an AmE speaker, I have not heard that phrase. We would simply use the word "weigh". He weighed his options. They weighed the possibilities.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

In that sense it is exactly the same in BrE.

I think what the OP is talking about is closer to 'size up'.

To me, 'weigh up' implies careful assessment and 'size up' implies more of an approximation, but they are close enough.

BigMak

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Assamese
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi Roman55, actual MikeNewYork's understanding of my question was correct.

here is how MacMillan British English Dictionary defines it - to consider the good and bad aspects of something in order to reach a decision about it. e.g. Before buying weigh up the advantages and disadvantages of each type.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

I'm glad that Mike's answer is what you were looking for BigMak. I think you misunderstood mine, though.

I know what 'to weigh up' means, but one sentence from one dictionary is not enough to extrapolate all uses from. In that same dictionary you will find one of the definitions of 'to weigh' as being, "to consider all the aspects of a situation carefully before making a decision - The judge weighed all the facts before reaching a verdict."

I was simply making the point that in BrE we also say, 'He weighed his options'. It is not an AmE variant of 'He weighed up his options'. We weigh the options and we weigh up the opposition. There is always going to be some overlap.

BigMak

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Assamese
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I was simply making the point that in BrE we also say, 'He weighed his options'. It is not an AmE variant of 'He weighed up his options'. We weigh the options and we weigh up the opposition. There is always going to be some overlap.

So, if I understand you correctly, "weigh" cannot always be used to mean "weigh up". Could you give me an example of "weigh up" where using "weigh" wouldn't work?

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

Well, I'm only speaking from a BrE perspective.

In a sporting event for example you weigh up the opposition to assess their stength/ability and so on, but if I were to say 'weigh the opposition' it would have the literal meaning of finding out how heavy they are. I would probably understand what was meant if it were said by someone else though, context permitting.

BigMak

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Assamese
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Oh, right! In that case we need to use size up. Thanks! Now I get it.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In AmE we would use "size up" for that meaning with "the opposition".

Status
Not open for further replies.