Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi.

I've been reading a book called The Elements of Teaching by James M. Banner, JR & Harold.C.Cannon. I was hesitant to read it because at the very beginning of the book, there are many difficult words and expressions. But as I kept reading it, I found that the book is easy for me to understand. Therefore, I like reading it and can't put it down.

I wrote two sentences to express this idea but I don't think either of them is good:

a) The more I read the book, the more interesting of the book urges me to keep on reading.
b) I've grown fond of reading the book despite the difficuties of understanding it at the very beginning.

Please help me with a natural version.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I've been reading a book called "The Elements of Teaching" by James M. Banner, JR & Harold. C. Cannon. I was hesitant to read it because at right from the very beginning of the book, there are many difficult words and expressions. But However, as I kept reading it continued reading, I found that the book is actually easy for me to understand. Therefore, I like reading it and can't put it down.

I wrote two sentences to express this idea but I don't think either of them is good:

a) The more I read the book, the more interesting of the book it is, urges encouraging me to keep on reading.
b) I've grown fond of I've come to enjoy reading the book despite the my difficulties of with understanding it at the very beginning.

Please help me with a natural version.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Those two sentences express very different thoughts. You have to be clearer about what you mean.
I want to say that when I read the first several pages of the book, I was hesitant to continue because there are many difficult words and expressions. But as I continued reading, I found that it became easier for me to read. I don’t know why. Perhaps it’s because I read the difficult parts several times and the meanings became clearer or maybe it’s because I asked many questions about the difficult parts and that helped me to understand the latter parts of the book.

I’ll write these two corrected sentences down for future reference. :)

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I want to say that when I read the first several pages of the book, I was hesitant to continue because there are many difficult words and expressions. But as I continued reading, I found that it became easier for me to read. I don’t know why.

This is all nicely expressed. Good. (y)