Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
He made numerous contributions to the world, the most well-known being the general theory of relativity and the famous formula E=mc

Hi, how to understand the word "being" in this sentence? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
He made numerous contributions to the world, the most well-known being the general theory of relativity and the famous formula E=mc

Hi, how to can/should I understand the word "being" in this sentence? Thanks.

The writer used "being" here because they chose not to make it into two sentences. It could have been written as:

He made numerous contributions to the world. The most well-known are the general theory of relativity and the formula E=mc(squared).

However, if they'd used "are" there as part of a single sentence, it would have been ungrammatical.

Harry1234

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thanks, emsr2d2! I have one more question: Is this part "the most well-known being the general theory of relativity and the famous formula E=mc" an independent nominative structure? Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't know what an "independent nominative structure" is. If by that you mean is it an independent clause the answer is no.

Are you studying physics?

Harry1234

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I am learning English not physics. We need to analyze the structure of the sentence. I don’t know what structure the part is, so I asked you for help. I’m not sure what grammar term I should use. I might use the wrong term. Sorry to trouble you. Is “absolute structure” correct? Thank you!

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, conversation is certainly part English (and any other language).

That sentence part might have a name, but I don't know what it is.

In 70 years I haven't had to use the term "absolute structure", and I don't know where or why or when I would use it.

(I do appreciate politeness, but there is no need to put " Thank you" in every post.)

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Since Harry1234's question concerns syntactic analysis rather than meaning and use of English, I'd suggest it's better suited to the Analysing Language section. And since it seems to be part of a coursework assignment, I'd advise we answer cautiously.

Status
Not open for further replies.