Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Canada
She trod out a more comfortable space for him in the heart of the grass patch, and though it had been dusty, airless and intolerably hot, and Ash,
having forgotten his fear, had become bored and restless, the heat and the enforced idleness had eventually made him drowsy, and shortly after midday he had fallen asleep. Sita too had dozed fitfully, soothed by the slow creak of bullock-drawn country carts plodding along the dusty road and the occasional jingle of a passing ekka.*
The Far Pavillions by Mary Kaye
I don;t know what justifies the use of the past perfect here.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
It would help if you gave us the next two sentences as well.

Presumably, it's still the same day, maybe the evening. The past perfect links what had happened earlier that day to the present moment.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"She trod out a more comfortable space for him in the heart of the grass patch, and though it had been dusty, airless and intolerably hot, and Ash, having forgotten his fear, had become bored and restless, the heat and the enforced idleness had eventually made him drowsy, and shortly after midday he had fallen asleep. Sita too had dozed fitfully, soothed by the slow creak of bullock-drawn country carts plodding along the dusty road and the occasional jingle of a passing ekka.*"
Leave an empty line between the quote and the source information.
Source: The Far Pavillions Pavilions by Mary Kaye
Leave an empty line after the source information.
I don't know what justifies the use of the past perfect here.
Please note my corrections and suggestions above. Take care when copying the spelling of titles. This is the second post in which you have misspelled "Pavilions".

Status
Not open for further replies.