Student or Learner
Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Italy
HI everyone.

May I ask you what happens with the "r" in the following words (in non-rhotic accents like RP): beware /bɪˈwɛə/, care /kɛə/, dare /dɛə/, there /ðɛə/, share /ʃɛə/, compare /kəmˈpɛə/, careful /ˈkɛəfʊl/, sphere /sfɪə/, figure /ˈfɪɡə/, and so on? In all of these cases the “r” is neither at the end of the word nor before consonant (rules that many BrE teachers teach for silent "r") – still, it is silent. Are there any rules that can be applied in these cases? What about: very, necessary, arbitrary, and so on - here the "r" is pronounced, but, even though in the middle of the word, there's no consonant before it (other rule BrE teachers teach for non-silent "r")? What's the rule here? What about the words: order, separate and the like? In "order", for example, the "r" is before a consonant - still, it is silent. On the other hand, in "separate" the "r" is in middle position, but there's no consonant before it - still, it is pronounced and therefore non-silent. What I am trying to learn is whether (or not) there are 2 separate rules for the “r”: one telling me when the “r” must be pronounced and one telling me when the “r” is silent. Am I missing something here? Thank you!
P.S.: As I have spoken with other BrE experts, I would also like to ask you if the following conclusions are accurate enough and could be considered a rule for the pronunciation of the "r" sound (in British RP and non-rhotic accents of English):
1. "r" is silent in the following words: car, star, sister, mother, word, person, bird (/kɑː/, /stɑː/, /ˈsɪstə/, /ˈmʌðə/, /wɜːd/, /ˈpɜːsn/, /bɜːd/) because it is not followed by a vowel sound.
2. "r" is pronounced in the following words: read, write, red, Rome, grass, green, very, separate (/riːd/, /raɪt/, /rɛd/, /rəʊm/, /grɑːs/, /griːn/, /ˈvɛri/, /'sepərət/) and also in berry, carry, arrange (ˈ/bɛri/, /ˈkæri/, /əˈreɪnʤ/) because it is followed by a vowel sound.
Or, to sum up: /r/ (the phoneme, i.e. the sound as in red) occurs only before a vowel phoneme (in British RP and non-rhotic accents of English). In every other case, it is silent. Is this enough to be considered a rule? Thank you very much!

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, different variants handle it differently, but essentially if the 'r' follows a vowel but itself isn't followed by another articulated (note the silent 'e' in some of your examples) vowel, then it's either dropped or switched to something like a schwa or a digraph blend with the preceding vowel, depending on variant and accent.

This Wikipedia article has some good information as well.

cipali

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Italy
Thank you all!
I know about the "linking r", "intrusive r", "silent vowels", "r-controlled vowels" and the like phenomena.
clear.png

The "linking r" occurs in: care about (/keər əbaʊt/), near enough (/nɪər ɪˈnʌf/), war and peace (/wɔːr ənd piːs/), where the "r" sound serves to link 2 otherwise consecutive vowel sounds. Of course this happens only when there is NO pause between them in pronunciation. It happens with isolated words too as in: caring, daring, stirring (/ˈkeərɪŋ/, /ˈdeərɪŋ/, /ˈstɜːrɪŋ/), all of which in their base form would have the silent "r" in pronunciation as in: care, dare, stir (/keə/, /deə/, /stɜː/).
P.S.: My second language is American English. We do have some strange phenomena in AmE as well, but this one with the "r sound" in RP was driving me crazy. :)

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Americans with non-rhotic accents do the same things.

Status
Not open for further replies.