Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Topic : Why are we learning English?

Today we care a lot about learning English. In Korea, in order to learn English, young children are sent to academies, such as English kindergartens. Why do we insist on learning English?

The language percentage of internet content worldwide is monopolized by English by more than half of 59.9%. More than half of the Internet is in English, according to the data from W3Techs, an organization that researches the World Wide Web. Then, how about the proportion of Korean? According to W3Techs, it accounts for 0.6percent of the internet. That is, we are just missing the rest of 99.4% of the content. If we can master the language called English, we can dramatically expand the way we look at the world from 0.6 percent to 60.5 percent.

Based on the Internet content language ratio above, another example to prove it is doctors in white coat, who can be found in large university hospitals and all use English terms. They even say the words that they can say in Korean in English. When they study to become a doctor, all the books normally called doctor textbooks are in English. The reason for this is that modern medicine didn’t originate Korea but in other countries, so many mistakes occur in translating its terms into Korean and medical students have to spend a lot of time memorizing medical terms within a fixed time limit.

As the world's English usage is high, if we only look at Korea, it is similar to looking at the world from a narrow perspective. Among the examples above, if you learn business, you have to look at it from a wide perspective to grow, so there is a big reason to learn English. To know more about this, we are learning English.

========================
Could you check for mistakes, especially the underlined parts and correct them?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's kind of complicated, but I can say it should be important reason rather than big reason.

(It is getting late here in Charlotte.)

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
As the world's English usage is high, if we only look at Korea, it is similar to looking at the world from a narrow perspective. Among the examples above, if you learn business, you have to look at it from a wide perspective to grow, so there is a big reason to learn English. To know more about this, we are learning English.

*correction
As the world's English usage is high, if we're only confined to Korean, it.will be similar to looking at the world from a narrow perspective. To take another practical example, if you learn how to do business, you have to look at it from a wide perspective to grow in it, so there is an important reason to learn English. To acquire more knowledge and to be successful in various fields, we are learning English.

I corrected the last paragraph as above. Please advise on it.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

doctors in white coats who can be found at large university hospitals and all use English terms.

That may be true about English, but I'm sure that whatever medical school you go to you have to learn a lot of terms based on Latin. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I guess what you're saying is that outside of Korea not that many people speak Korean. So if you want to expand your horizons it would you might want to learn English. An example is Hyundai, which sells s lot of cars in America. They are highly motivated to learn English because so many of their customers speak that language. Then there's that cell phone company. (Their name escapes me at the present time.)

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I guess what you're saying is that outside of Korea not that many people speak Korean. So if you want to expand your horizons it would you might want to learn English. An example is Hyundai, which sells s lot of cars in America. They are highly motivated to learn English because so many of their customers speak that language. Then there's that cell phone company. (Their name escapes me at the present time.)

Samsung, the brand that has surpassed iphone?
https://www.globalbrandsmagazine.com/top-10-mobile-brands-in-world/
There's also LG which is well known for electrical and electronic goods.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Samsung is the word I was trying to think of. (I'm holding an LG product in my hand right now.)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Samsung, the brand that has surpassed the iPhone?

Remember to capitalise product names correctly. It's odd to compare a whole brand (Samsung) with one product (iPhone). It would make more sense to say that Samsung has surpassed Apple in terms of sales of smartphones.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
In some former French colonies, medical training still uses a lot of French terminology because that was the source of the western medicine. I had a diagnosis in SE Asia that labelled my ailment in French.

Status
Not open for further replies.