English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
At 7:53 of the above video, I heard "like ohter common caNINES."
The stress of "canines" is on the first syllable, isn't it?
Why does the stress of "canines" fall on the last syllable in the video?

It's a mispronunciation. You're right; the stress should be on the first syllable.

In the police, police dogs are sometimes referred to with the stress on the second syllable, partly because (like the robot dog in Doctor Who), it's sometimes written K-9.

Last edited:
Last edited:
He puts the main stress on the first syllable in the video, not the second. Because of his Australian accent, there's a rising intonation on the second syllable that makes it appear to be also stressed.

The vast majority of Australians do not pronounce it like that!

He puts the main stress on the first syllable in the video, not the second. Because of his Australian accent, there's a rising intonation on the second syllable that makes it appear to be also stressed.
I don't agree. I don't detect the rising intonation on the second syllable. It seems to me that the syllables are fairly equally stressed.

It is interesting that at 6.48, he pronounces the word with a clearly stressed first syllable.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if he got distracted, or perhaps he was gesturing to someone behind the scenes, and maybe that caused him to pronounce the word that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back