Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Bahrain
Current Location
Bahrain
Hi,

I would like to ask you to explain this sentence as it is difficult for me to understand.

"...the tale is commended to the kindness of the reader". It is from "North and South".

Many thanks. :)

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: A difficult sentence

Please include at least the entire sentence.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

It's an old-fashioned way of humbly thanking the reader for reading the story. By reading the story, you're being kind to the author.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Hi,

I would like to ask you to explain this sentence as it [STRIKE]was[/STRIKE] is difficult for me to understand.

"...the tale is commended to the kindness of the reader". It is from "North and South".

Many thanks. [STRIKE]:)[/STRIKE]

Note my corrections above. When you wrote the post, the sentence was still difficult for you to understand so the present tense should have been used. Once you understand it, you can say "it was difficult for me to understand".
All but the shortest words in book/film/play titles should be capitalised.
End every sentence with a single appropriate punctuation mark (full stop, question mark, exclamation mark).
Don't try to make your own emoticons. If you really need one, click on :) and choose the appropriate one.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

That's very kind of you, Johnyxxx, but the OP was asked to give the full sentence. I would prefer that OPs be given the opportunity to do as they have been asked.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

white.rose, I have changed your thread title.

'Thread titles should include all or part of the word/phrase being discussed.'
(Posting Guidelines)

white.rose

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Bahrain
Current Location
Bahrain

Thank you for the correction & explanation. By the way, for the emoticons, c'mon, there is nothing wrong about it. It is not a grammar thin or a problem.

white.rose

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Bahrain
Current Location
Bahrain

(Charlie Bernstein)

Yeah. Well, I thought about this explanation but, it is just that I wasn't sure about it, as you said "an old-fashion way". Thank you.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

(Charlie Bernstein)

Yeah. Well, I thought about this explanation but, it is just that I wasn't sure about it, as you said "an old-fashion way". Thank you.

Understood! It was a very good question. Even native speakers have trouble figuring out lines like that. It's not natural contemporary English.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

By the way, for the emoticons, c'mon, there is nothing wrong about it. It is not a grammar thin or a problem.

It's a rule of the forum.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Thank you for the correction [STRIKE]&[/STRIKE] and explanation. By the way, [STRIKE]for[/STRIKE] regarding the emoticons, [STRIKE]c'mon,[/STRIKE] there is nothing wrong [STRIKE]about[/STRIKE] with [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] them. It is not a grammar thing or a problem.

Thanks. [STRIKE]:)[/STRIKE]

(Charlie Bernstein)

[STRIKE]Yeah[/STRIKE] Yes. Well, I thought about this explanation but (no comma) it is just that I wasn't sure about it. As you said, it's "an old-fashioned way". Thank you.

See above. No one suggested that using your own emoticons is a grammar issue. This forum provides a whole range of standard emoticons for you to use. Please use them.
Please don't use non-standard English on the forum - "yeah" and "c'mon". You need to bear in mind that there are hundreds of learners reading these messages all the time. It would be very unfair on them if they read things like that and assumed that they were OK. It is incumbent upon us to ensure that doesn't happen.
It will be much simpler for you to simply follow the forum guidelines. I'm sure it would become as tedious for you as it would for us if we have to continue to spend time making such basic corrections to posts, instead of using the time to answer learner's actual questions.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Thank you for the correction and explanation. By the way, for the emoticons, ​come on, there is nothing wrong with it. It is not a grammar thing or a problem.

Don't go there. I've tried, believe me!

Other offenses: Using "&" instead of "and" and "c'mon" instead of "come on."

We REALLY like standard English here!

Status
Not open for further replies.