The two men "could" see him leave the hotel, or they "could" follow him upstairs, ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sitifan

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
The two men could see him leave the hotel, or they could follow him upstairs, break into his room and steal his case. (my bold, quoted from A Dictionary of Answers to Common Questions in English, by Zhao Zhencai)

In the above sentence, does the modal verb "could" refer to possibility or ability?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The two men could see him leave the hotel, or they could follow him upstairs, break into his room and steal his case. (my bold, quoted from A Dictionary of Answers to Common Questions in English, by Zhao Zhencai)

In the above sentence, does the modal verb "could" refer to possibility or ability?
The sentence appears very strange to me. I don't understand the use of the 'or'.

sitifan

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
The sentence appears very strange to me. I don't understand the use of the 'or'.
On his arrival, he went straight to the counter and spoke to the clerk in uniform behind it. He appeared calm. But inside his heart was beating wildly with fear. I'd like a room for one night. He said and showed the clerk a little drawing that he had done in the taxi. The clerk was very helpful and was able to give Bill exactly the room he required. Bill did not go up to his bedroom immediately. The two men had followed him to the hotel in another text. And well now watching him through the glass doors of the hotel entrance. Bill had a look around. There was only one entrance to the hotel. The two men could see him leave the hotel, or they could follow him upstairs, break into his room and steal his case. Bill felt a little safer downstairs. Outside the entrance is due to police officers with guns. In the long passages of this hotel, it might be dangerous to walk alone. He might be attacked and have his case stolen from him.
http://www.360doc.com/content/19/0811/09/22131034_854185873.shtml

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Bill is thinking about the two possibilities open to the men.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
What was the common question that this is the answer to?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I suppose they could watch him leave the hotel.

"Outside the entrance is due to police officers with guns" makes no sense to me. Perhaps: "Police officers with guns were standing outside the entrance to the hotel."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.