Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hello.

I'm not sure about the difference between the world's population and the world population.
To me, they seem the same, but are there any differences in meanings, impressions they give or situations where they are used?

Thank you in advance
shikemoku

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Yes, there's a difference in meaning and use.

The noun phrase world population is normally used as a mere figure (7.9 bn). The head is population, (meant as a figure) and world is a modifier specifying this figure. You might see this phrase used in graphs and charts, or other texts that intend to present data.

The genitive phrase the world's population has world as a head. It says something about what the world (the possessee) possesses. Instead of being used as a figure, it may refer to the people who belong to the world. For example, it could be used to say The median age of the world's population is 31 years.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The genitive phrase the world's population has world as a head
I don't agree. The head of this NP is population, with world's functioning as a modifier. Compare:

the world's population
its population
the population of the world

shikemoku

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I don't agree. The head of this NP is population, with world's functioning as a modifier. Compare:

the world's population
its population
the population of the world
I understand the world's is functioning as a modifier.
What about the other part?
Do you think the world population is about a figure while the world's population could refer to the people in the world, like [SIZE=4]jutfrank[/SIZE] said?
Or isn't there any difference in meaning?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
To me there is little or no difference. You could also use "the population of the world".

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
To me there is little or no difference. You could also use "the population of the world".

In the sentence The median age of the world's population is 31 years, you can't understand the world's population as talking about a number, can you? It's talking about the people who live in the world, not the number of people.

shikemoku

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
In the sentence The median age of the world's population is 31 years, you can't understand the world's population as talking about a number, can you? It's talking about the people who live in the world, not the number of people.
So you mean the population in the world's populaton is more about people, and that in the world population is about the number.
Do I understand you right?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
So you mean the population in the world's populaton is more about people, and that in the world population is about the number.
Do I understand you right?

Not always, but that may be the case, yes. You'll find lots of cases where both phrases are about the number. If you provide some specific example sentences, we can comment more practically.

shikemoku

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Not always, but that may be the case, yes. You'll find lots of cases where both phrases are about the number. If you provide some specific example sentences, we can comment more practically.
How about this one? It's from the following webpage. (https://asiapacific.unfpa.org/en/populationtrends)
The Asia and the Pacific region is home to 60 per cent of the world’s population.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Omit the second definite article. I suppose you could also keep the first "the" and omit the second, but don't use both of them.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

shikemoku

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
That's another good example of the world's population referring to the people. Of all the people in the world, 60% live in that region.
Thank you, jutfrank. Now I think I understand your point. I really appreciate your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.